Waltham Forest Perinatal Mental Health First Aid Training
Organised by Waltham Forest Council in partnership with NELFT this course will:
- Improve early support for pregnant and postnatal women who are experiencing poor mental health.
- Prevent escalation of symptoms and improved recovery.
- Promote healthy, loving attachments between mothers and their babies.
- Raise community awareness and reduce stigma of perinatal mental health issues and the significance of postnatal depression on attachment.
This course is being repeated on Wednesday 22 February 2017 and Wednesday 29 March 2017, so please book the date which is most suitable for you.
To provide expert information for the audience on:
- Prevalence of perinatal depression, psychosis and other mental health issues
- Understanding the causes and presentation of poor mental health in pregnancy and postnatal period
- Understanding the significance of poor maternal mental health on early attachment and childhood development
- Appropriate responses to perinatal mental health issues
To provide practical advice and build skills for the audience on:
- How to identify the early signs of poor maternal mental health
- How to provide help on a first aid basis and guide a woman/ and partner toward the right support
- How to help protect a woman and baby who might be at risk of harm
- How to help prevent escalation of mental health issues and support faster recovery
- How to help every mother develop a close, loving bond with her baby
- How to stigma of perinatal mental health issues
- How to promote wellbeing and protective factors
To have the knowledge, skills and confidence to improve early support for pregnant and postnatal women who are experiencing poor mental health and to prevent escalation of symptoms and improved recovery. To promote healthy, loving attachments between mothers and their babies.
To raise community awareness and reduce stigma of perinatal mental health issues and the significance of postnatal depression on attachment.
To book a place on this course, please click on this link: https://lbwfpimhs.eventbrite.co.uk
This course is only open to people who work and volunteer in Waltham Forest. The attendees would include the following:
- Family Nurses
- Breastfeeding support workers
- Childminders and Early Years workers
- Local Authority staff including, Early Help 0-19 staff, social workers,
- Community and voluntary sector staff including; Children & Family Centre staff, Asian Mothers Group etc.
If you are not sure whether you should attend this event, please contact the organiser, Zaya Fullerton at Zaya.Fullerton@walthamforest.gov.uk