Working With Two Year Olds
In Session One, Practitioners will have opportunities to:
• understand the importance of infant brain development and how this relates to play, active learning and language development
• consider the different stages of play and how the role of the adult and environment best supports this
• develop understanding of speech, language and communication development at 2 years old
• explore effective strategies to support children’s language development
• explore early language delay and strategies when speaking with parents
• reflect on their current practice, identify current strengths and areas for development
In Session Two, Practitioners will have opportunities to:
• to explore the specific needs of two year olds including schemas and the importance of repetition
• develop an understanding of how to plan for a rich learning environment that meets the needs of two year olds and consider and how this can impact on two year old’s communication skills
• how to tune into the needs of two year olds and respond effectively through carefully planned provision
• explore the importance of cosy spaces for two year olds and have a go at planning for and creating a cosy space
• consider the importance of everyday routines and activities for developing language and communication skills
• be aware of adult-child interaction and how this can impact on children’s communication skills
• and reflect on their current practice, identify strengths and areas for further development.
Session One will support practitioners working with two year olds in settings and schools to develop a deeper understanding of two year old development and how best to support their unique needs, including language development and identifying language delay.
Session Two will support practitioners working with two year olds in settings and schools to recognise and understand the key features of an effective, high quality, communication rich learning environment for 2 year olds and support practitioners with adult – child interaction strategies which support language development
By the end of session one practitioners will have:
• developed their knowledge and understanding of how two year olds develop and what they need to thrive
• considered what experiences and opportunities are on offer to support children’s individual needs and stages of development
• developed their knowledge and understanding of speech, language and communication development and what to expect at two years old.
• gained ideas around working with parents to support language development
By the end of the session two practitioners will have:
• developed their understanding of how effective environments supports the characteristics and needs of two year olds
• explored what is needed to develop a high-quality learning environment that is effective, stimulating and challenging
• considered how they use the environment to enhance the experiences and opportunities available to two year olds
• developed an understanding of the importance of adult-child interaction on speech, language and communication skill development
• identified positive interaction strategies that will support the development of children’s language and communication skills
• reflect on their own practice, identified strengths and areas for further development
• Reflected on their own practice, identified strengths and areas for further development
For all Booking and Training Queries, please contact - EYtraining@walthamforest.gov.uk or call 02084962909
Refreshments will be provided. Delegates should bring Lunch.
This is an INVITE ONLY training session for Practitioners working with 2YO. Practitioners should email expressions of interest to participate in the 2YO Moderation programme to EYtraining@walthamforest.gov.uk.