Teaching Phonics for Reception aged children
This training session is part of the Early Years Teaching and Learning Training Framework. Heather Rick (LBWF - EYFS Consultant) will be leading this session.
This training session is part of the Early Years Profile Moderation training, particularly to support practitioners working in PVI settings, who have Reception aged children in their settings.
This training will be suitable for Reception class NQTs and classroom TAs.
The course will look at phonic progression using ‘Letters and Sounds’ with a focus on Phase 2 and Phase 3.
This session will provide participants with an opportunity to explore the following:
• Step by step phonic development of Letters and Sounds Phase 2 (19 phonemes) and Phase 3 (23 phonemes).
• Planning exciting and effective phonic sessions for children.
• How to match letter sounds to letter shapes.
• Supporting children to blend sounds together to make words for reading and writing.
• Offering ideas for continuous provision for children to access phonics in the setting.
• Practitioners will learn a graduated phonic progression for children to follow, and to support children to match letters to sounds (phonemes).
• Practitioners will be shown practical and exciting ideas to support phonic development during a phonic session.
• Creating a phonic rich learning environment to support learning.
• Helping children to blend and segment sounds to make words that they can read and write.