Schools' Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL) Refresher Training (please note new venue)
The role of the Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL) is a complex one. This course will assist DSLs to have a full understanding of their roles and responsibilities which includes creating and sustaining systems to keep children safe, raise awareness of the subject of safeguarding children, be able to confidently advise and instruct other educational staff and share information appropriately with other respective protective agencies.
Understanding the role of the designated Safeguarding Lead Professional and key areas of responsibility
• Understanding of the legislation and guidance underpinning their organisation’s policy, procedures and practice when responding to concerns about a child’s safety or welfare
• Ability to evidence compliance with Ofsted requirements to ensure all children are safe
• Understanding the barriers that stop staff reporting concerns and how to overcome these
• Understanding of the processes followed by the MASH when a referral is made and the thresholds for intervention
• Strategies to ensure that there are systems in place to monitor and evaluate outcomes for children who are in need or suffering or at risk of suffering significant harm
There is School DSL training (full-day) on Thursday 14 September for those who are new to the role or who have not attended DSL training in the last 2 years. Please make sure you choose the correct course for your needs.
If driving, please ensure you leave enough time to find a car parking space as these are very limited in the immediate area. Also, as a courtesy to other attendees and the training lead, please arrive in good time for a prompt start - if you arrive more than 15 minutes late you may not be admitted and you may be charged the full cost of the course (£50).
To update participants of their safeguarding obligations and responsibilities
To help participants think about how they create and sustain robust safeguarding systems that keep children safe
To increase professional competence and confidence in carrying out this role.
To explore local and national child protection dilemmas, challenges and solutions
For all queries please email Safeguardingineducation@walthamforest.gov.uk
The cost of the course (£50) is inclusive of refreshments.
Note: If you are unable to attend the course after booking and cannot send a substitute, please ensure that you inform us of this at least 5 working days prior to the course so we may offer your place to somebody else. Failure to do so will result in your school being charged the full fee of the course (£50)