Schools / Colleges Safer Recruitment Training
• Awareness and understanding of offender behaviour;
• The key features of recruitment that help deter or prevent the appointment of unsuitable people;
• What to look for in application forms;
• Useful interview questions;
• Pre-employment checks
• Case studies;
• Support to consider or review, your own organisations, policies and practices to minimise opportunities for abuse,
promote prevention and ensure an ongoing culture of vigilance.
As you will know from 1 January 2010 it became mandatory that any appointments of school staff should be made by a recruitment panel that includes at least one person who has been trained in Safer Recruitment. This course is based on the updated version of the national accredited training that has been developed by the Safer Recruitment Consortium which has taken over responsibility for the design of the training.
The course is fully compliant with the national guidance ‘Keeping Children Safe in Education’ 2015 and includes an assessment that is a requirement for all school based participants.
The Safer Recruitment training will enable schools to fulfill their responsibility to have in place safe recruitment and selection practice within the wider context of safeguarding children and to make safeguarding children central to all we do.
This course is also open to childcare providers. Whilst it is not statutory for childcare providers to follow the Government’s safer recruitment requirements, following these procedures would be good practice and will ensure compliance with the EYFS statutory requirements regarding recruitment and employment law.
By the end of the course delegates will:
• Understand some of the ways in which offenders behave and operate
• Identify key features of staff recruitment that maximise opportunity of appointing the most suitable person for the job and help deter or prevent the appointment of
• Consider policies and practice that minimise opportunities for abuse or ensure its prompt reporting