Early Years Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL) Training (for PVIs) (new session)
Understanding the role, key areas of responsibility, compliance, legislation and guidance regarding the DSL role in an Early Years setting.
• Understanding the role of the Designated Safeguarding Lead and key areas of responsibility
• Understanding of the legislation and guidance underpinning their organisation’s policy, procedures and practice when responding to concerns about a child’s safety or welfare
• Ability to evidence compliance with OfSTED requirements to ensure all children are safe
• Ensuring that all staff in education settings are clear about possible indicators of ‘abuse’ and how these should be managed
• Awareness of the definitions of abuse and neglect and significant harm in order to make appropriate referrals for intervention
• Understanding the barriers that stop staff reporting concerns and how to overcome these
• Understanding of the processes followed by Children’s Social Care when a referral is made and the thresholds for intervention
• For the Designated Safeguarding Lead to be actively involved in collaborative decision-making and the process for managing disagreement and or challenge
• Identify training required for staff within their setting to ensure best practice
• Learning from serious case reviews
• Awareness of best practice and how this safeguards children and staff in relation to confidentiality, information sharing, information gathering, recording, transferring records to receiving settings, whistle blowing, professional boundaries and managing disclosures of abuse from children to promote best outcomes
• Strategies to ensure that there are systems in place to monitor and evaluate outcomes for children who are in need or suffering or at risk of suffering significant harm
An Introduction to Safeguarding course should have been attended within the last year if this is the participant's first time on a DSL course.
Please note – Managers & Deputies should not attend together.
To enable participants to become familiar with the role and responsibilities of the Designated Safeguarding Lead and develop competence and confidence in carrying out this role.
For specific information on the course please contact Rita Ali - Senior Child Protection & Safeguarding Advisor on 020 8496 4368.
For queries on the booking process only please contact Howard Gladwin - Early Years Training & Quality Coordinator on 020 8496 5126.
The cost of the course (£100) is inclusive of refreshments & a light lunch.
Note: If you are unable to attend the course after booking and cannot send a substitute, please ensure that you inform us of this at least 5 working days prior to the course so we may offer your place to somebody else. Failure to do so will result in your setting being charged the full fee of the course (£100).