Speech & Language Therapy
About our service
Speech and Language Therapists (SLTs) are recognised as key, specialist professionals in improving the educational outcomes and quality of life for children with speech and language difficulties referred to our service.
Our Health Care Professional Council registered SLTs have the expertise to work with children with a range of speech and language difficulties including: speech delay/disorder, language delay/disorder, hearing loss, dysfluency (stammering), eating and drinking difficulties, swallowing difficulties, social communication difficulties/Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD), neuro-developmental delays and other complex conditions.
What we offer
- SLTs work closely with families, schools and all agencies involved in the care of individual children
- We carry out specialist assessment; diagnose and identify SLT needs; produce expert reports; provide strategies; give advice; devise programmes; contribute to the SEND processes and EHC Plans; facilitate onward referral; liaise with relevant agencies and deliver therapy
- In addition, we have well established expertise in providing training and support to school staff, enabling them to offer language based groups and interventions for pupils with Speech, Language and Communication Needs (SLCN) within the school setting
- Where appropriate, we can focus on early identification and prevention and target the group of children with more transient SLCN to close the attainment gap helping them to catch up with their peers
Benefits of using our service
- SLTs in schools are part of a large, well respected SLT service in Waltham Forest. We have a well-established relationship with Education & Disability Enablement Service in Waltham Forest, with whom we have worked collaboratively to continuously improve and respond to changing needs
- As the SLT Service in Waltham Forest is a NHS service there are unique and specific benefits to schools:
- Access to shared NHS electronic patient records
- Availability of specialist knowledge and expertise for the individual school SLT as they work as part of a very large, comprehensive SLT team with highly regarded clinical specialist SLTs
- Multi-disciplinary team working and co-location with other professionals from health and the local authority (e.g. paediatricians, nursing, CAMHS, SEN, specialist children's services, early support services, child protection, Looked After Children Team)
Louise Parker, Clinical Lead for Speech and Language Therapy (NELFT) Waltham Forest
020 8430 7970
Do you want to find out more about this service?
To find out more about this service, download any extra documents / resources associated with this particular service, or if you have specific needs that you would like to discuss, please login. You can then use the online query form to contact the service directly. The service will respond to your query within 5 working days.
If you do not have log in details, please register.