Air Quality Service
Environmental Health (Air Quality).
To assist in matters relating to air pollution, specifically in relation to:
- Creating education material to be used in class
- Active Travel
- School Travel Plan
- Pollutant exposure reduction
Who this service is for
Maintained Schools and Non-maintained Schools.
Benefits to your school
- Environmental Education is part of the National Curriculum.
- Reduces child pollutant exposure and therefore can reduce sick days/asthma attacks.
- Can improve traffic safety around schools.
- Can improve air quality around schools.
- Contributes to the Healthy Schools London Program and can help schools in achieving their Bronze, Silver and Gold awards.
What the Air Quality Team have done so far
1. Clean Air For Schools project, an air pollution education programme delivered to four schools in Waltham Forest.
This project involved delivering a number of science based air pollution lessons looking at local air pollution levels via GIS and an investigation activity into the particulate levels at participating schools. This was followed by a creative workshop chosen by the school (ranging from travel related workshops, solar oven building or arts and crafts based creative exploration of the air quality theme). Schools also had the opportunity to receive an interactive 'fun' animation session about air pollution using the schools individual messages they wanted to portray, as well as the option to go on a field trip on the topic of sustainable cities. This project was to raise awareness of the risks that are associated with air pollution and the actions that can be taken to improve air quality. The videos can be watched on the Council's website. For further information about the project and how teachers have evaluated the air pollution education programme, logged-in users can download the file below.
With the help of volunteers the Council is engaging with drivers who leave their car engines on whilst parked outside of schools. At least one anti-idling session is held each month at different schools throughout the borough.
The following services are available to schools:
- Air Quality School Toolkits to be used as part of Environmental Education.
- Anti-idling around schools.
Further information can be found on the Waltham Forest Council website.
Environmental Protection Team
020 8496 3000
Do you want to find out more about this service?
To find out more about this service, download any extra documents / resources associated with this particular service, or if you have specific needs that you would like to discuss, please login. You can then use the online query form to contact the service directly. The service will respond to your query within 5 working days.
If you do not have log in details, please register.