The Education Network for Waltham Forest
Supported by Waltham Forest

Considering becoming a childminder and would like to know more?

Education in Waltham Forest


Jump to:

What is a childminder and is it for you?



Cost and funding

Support from the local authority

Once you have become a childminder in Waltham Forest

Other considerations

Process to becoming an Ofsted-registered childminder in Waltham Forest


What is a childminder and is it for you?

Childminders are childcare practitioners who are self-employed sole traders that work in their own home. They generally provide care for young children. They offer a home-from-home childcare setting, looking after small groups of children of different ages and from different families. Any person who provides care for under 8s for more than 2 hours a day from their home, and is paid or rewarded for doing so should register as a childminder.

In England, childminders register with Ofsted, the regulatory body. They follow the same legal framework, the Early Years Foundation Stage Statutory Framework, as any other childcare provider (such as pre-schools and nurseries), so should offer the same quality experience.

A childminder can care for a maximum of six children under eight years old, of which usually no more than three may be under the age of five, and no more than one of these may be under one (although some expectations to these ratios are allowed). These numbers will include the childminder's own children. Childminders can also care for additional children over eight but they will have to demonstrate to Ofsted that they can meet the varying needs of all children being cared for.

The available space will also impact on the number of children you can care for. EYFS states childminders 'must meet the following indoor space requirements. Children under two years: 3.5m2 per child; Two year olds: 2.5 m2 per child; Children aged three to five years: 2.3 m2 per child'

However, childminding is a dynamic and evolving career. Many minders in Waltham Forest are expanding their business and employing assistants or working alongside other registered minders, so they can care for more children at once. If you employ assistants, you must meet all the legal requirements regarding being an employer; see also Waltham Forest Council's step by step guide for using childminder assistants.

Childminding offers fantastic career opportunities - from making a difference to a child's life, to being your own boss and working from home. If you have your own children, you will be able to care for them alongside minded children.

As you will be self-employed, you are able to set your own charges, there is no national rate. Childminder fees vary, depending on the service offered. As a childminder you can also register to offer the Free Early Education Entitlement to families. 

You can choose your own hours, however the more flexible you are the more likely you are to get work. 

Still interested?

Have a think about the following:

Do you want to work from home? Are you willing to be flexible with the hours you work? Could you provide a range of planned stimulating activities? Are you energetic, caring and resourceful? What effect will it have on your family? Would you be able to talk to parents about any concerns you may have about their children?


The Early Years Foundation Stage section of The Hub outlines all of the responsibilities that childminders need to be aware of to comply with their legal obligations. Once you have familiarised yourself with these requirements, and are happy to proceed, the training is as follows:

1. Paediatric First Aid

Childminders, and any assistant who might be in sole charge of the children for any period of time, must hold a current paediatric first aid certificate. Providers can choose which organisation they wish to provide the training (preferably one with a nationally approved and accredited first aid qualification or one that is a member of a trade body with an approval and monitoring scheme, for example, the Federation of First Aid Training Organisations (FOFATO) or The First Aid Industry Body (FAIB)).

St John Ambulance or the British Red Cross can be good places to look for a course or the the local authority also arranges Paediatric First Aid courses that meet all of Ofsted requirements; details of these courses can be found on the Waltham Forest Adult Learning Service website.

Whichever course you choose, it must last 12 hours and cover all the criteria as listed in Annex A of the Statutory framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage. 

2. Safeguarding

The local authority arranges safeguarding courses that meet all of the Local Safeguarding Children Board (LSCB) and Ofsted requirements; details of these courses can be found in the Hub's Events & Training directory.

3. Understanding the EYFS

Ofsted says "There is no requirement for childminders to have a level 3 qualification or any particular type of training - the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) just requires you to have undertaken a training course that helps you to understand the EYFS. The Ofsted inspector will check your understanding at your registration visit".

You can undertake this training either face to face or online. If you don't have a background in childcare we would recommend a face-to-face course. 

Waltham Forest Adult Learning Service run regular face-to-face evening courses.

PACEY (the professional associaton for childcare and Early Years) run an online Level 3 Award in Home Based Childcare (HBCA).  

Many childminders go on to complete other professional training, however, we highly recommend you pursue a qualification so that you are more prepared for your new career in childminding.  


Before you can work as a childminder you have to register with Ofsted - please find more details at the bottom of this page, Ofsted are trialling a Facebook page, to support prospective minders with the registration process.

You can also download Ofsted's quick guide on how to register as a childminder.

Cost and funding

The below is only an estimation of cost, and does not include the purchase of resources and toys:

£35 Ofsted registration

£65.10 for each DBS check including the update service

£50 or more for GP health check, these charges vary as GPs can set their own rates

£200 - 400 for Home-Based Childcare Level 3 award

£50 Paediatric First Aid

£50 Safeguarding training

If you are a newly registered minder, you may be eligible for the childcare business grant.

Support from the local authority

Whilst registering with Ofsted 

Once you have started the process of registering with Ofsted we can offer you a three visit package to support you on the road to registering. The three visits cover: 

  • The Learning and Development requirements of the EYFS
  • The safeguarding requirements of the EYFS
  • Business development

The cost of this support is £120 including VAT

Once you have become a childminder in Waltham Forest

Once Ofsted has registered you as an Early Years Childminder, Waltham Forest Council will receive an automatic notification from Ofsted and you will be contacted by the Education Support team who will invite you to join our wonderful childminding community and our FREE core offer of support which includes:

  • A names childminder development worker
  • Face-to-face visits where you care for children 
  • 1-2-1 meetings at 12 different venues across the borough
  • A closed Facebook group sharing best practice
  • Our term time, weekly drop-in sessions held in three venues across the borough. Dates and times can be found on the Events and Training section of the Hub. 
  • Regular briefing and professional development opportunities
  • Fortnightly newsletters

You also have the option of joining a partnership within Early Years System Leadership, which will enable you to access additional training and professional development. 

Other considerations

1. Planning Law & Requirements

If you wish to set up a childcare facility from a domestic property, you may require a change of use planning approval for D1 use. You will be required to contact the LA's Planning department and may have to make an application for a "certificate of lawfulness" which will inform you if you will need to apply for a change of use to D1 or not.

Existing childminders will be required to notify the LA's Planning department before they expand their business in terms of additional child numbers, additional staff or any proposed alterations to their house to cater for an expansion, including extensions, for the sole purpose of childminding use. You may be required to make an application for a "certificate of lawfulness", which will inform you if you will need to apply for any changes to your existing planning approval or additional planning application.

Logged-in users can download below further guidance on Planning and Building Regulations Approval.

Please be aware that you must seek permission from your landlord if you rent your property.

2. Childminders - Premises Health & Safety

In order to ensure your home is safe for childminding, we have prepared a guidance document to assist you with maintaining safe premises to deliver childcare from (logged-in users can download it at the bottom of the page).

Process to becoming an Ofsted-registered childminder in Waltham Forest

Please follow the steps below - click on each link to find out more.

1. How to register with Ofsted → 2. DBS Checks3. DBS Update Service4. Ofsted Registration Form5. Health Check


If you require any additional information please e-mail the Education Business Support team who will forward your query to the relevant officer.


Was this page useful?

Related tags

Last updated: 
Monday, 11 February, 2019
Last updated: 11 February 2019 by Sev Hassan